It might be difficult to choose the best self-publishing businesses, whether you’re working on your first book or your fiftieth. There can seem like there are a million options out there for new authors at times. What’s more, how can you determine which self-publishing platforms are best for you?
Let’s take a look at the top self-publishing businesses, as well as their pros and limitations, to see which one is best for your book. Who wants their hard work in authoring a book to go to waste because they didn’t choose the right self-publisher? With our guide to finding the finest self-publishing company, you can save time and cut through the clutter.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is (or isn’t) self-publishing?
- 2 Types of Self-Publishing Companies
- 3 8 Best Reasons You Should Self-Publish
- 3.1 1. You Control Your Time
- 3.2 2. You’re In The Driver’s Seat
- 3.3 3. The Royalties Are Bigger!
- 3.4 4. Become a Self-Published Author Now!
- 3.5 5. Dude, You Can Market The Book!
- 3.6 6. This is the Age of Self-Empowerment and Enlightenment
- 3.7 7. No Need to Collect Rejection Letters
- 3.8 8. Upgrade Your CV without Relying on Gatekeepers
- 4 How to Choose the Best Self-Publishing Company
- 5 Why MindStir Media?
- 6 Final Thoughts
What is (or isn’t) self-publishing?
When you self-publish a book, you are responsible for all elements of the process. You get to pick the publisher, create and format the book, and distribute it to bookstores.
Self-publishing does not require an agency, nor does it require you to wait for a major publishing house to choose you and your book, as it does with traditional publishing. The deadlines are established by you. Even better, all royalties are yours to retain.
From printing to registering to distributing your book, self-publishing businesses can help you with some or all of these phases of publication. You keep control of your book, as well as the rights and royalties associated with it.
Types of Self-Publishing Companies
Here’s some helpful information on the many types of self-publishing companies to assist you decide which one to go with:
- Book Retailers — Publish your book to their own marketplace.
- Book Aggregators — Publish your book to multiple retailers.
- Self-Publishing Educators — Teach you what you need to know to thrive as a self-publishing author
- Self-Publishing Author Services — Help prepare your book for publication
8 Best Reasons You Should Self-Publish
1. You Control Your Time
The last thing any writer needs is to be churning out what appears to be a continuous stream of query letters in an attempt to land an agent.
The agency will seek out a publisher, and you will find yourself on a time crunch. You fell for the bait. Those suits are going to seduce you and demand things from you on a schedule that you may or may not agree with.
2. You’re In The Driver’s Seat
You select the cover and the pricing of the book. And you are not required to change details such as the title you came up with when dreaming of your old high school flame.
You are completely in command. You are free to continue writing your book whenever you choose.
3. The Royalties Are Bigger!
You’ll earn money when the book leaves the distribution facility or when Amazon notifies you that your eBook is selling, and you’ll keep 100% of the proceeds. Traditional publishing houses can retain up to 85 percent of profits.
You may have enough money left over to pay the rent, but Forbes will not be calling to add you to their list of the world’s wealthiest people.
4. Become a Self-Published Author Now!
Self-stigma publishing’s and smell are in the air right now. Thanks to the intrepid authors who self-published their works, and to the Internet, all writers can now self-publish with the click of a mouse.
5. Dude, You Can Market The Book!
Sure. Becoming a book marketer may not be as seductive as it seems. However, with the abundance of excellent web tools accessible, even a six-year-old writer could accomplish this. However, you must give it your all by conducting study and spending some of the grade school lunch money you have hidden beneath your bed.
6. This is the Age of Self-Empowerment and Enlightenment
What do you think? 50 Shades of Grey is a self-published novel, and if the author achieved success with it, you may as well.
7. No Need to Collect Rejection Letters
There is nothing wrong with saving rejection letters as evidence of your work’s exposure. However, if you’d prefer avoid that aggravation and jump straight to the editing process, self-publishing enables you to do so.
Which would you like to see on your bookshelf: an increasing stack of rejection letters or an increasing collection of well edited self-published books?
8. Upgrade Your CV without Relying on Gatekeepers
Enhance your portfolio by self-publishing and marketing your own books. Each one can serve as a testament to your writing abilities, the knowledge and expertise that underpin each title, and your marketing prowess.
How to Choose the Best Self-Publishing Company
When evaluating your options and deciding on the best self-publishing company for your book, keep the following things in mind:
- Market Dominance: Who are the biggest retailers in your chosen country?
- Services: Which do you need and are you willing to pay for?
- Affordability: Which option gives you what you need at the right price?
- Distribution: Is Amazon enough for you, or would you rather go wide?
- Options for Going Wide: Which aggregator has the author perks you want?
- Customer/Client Testimonials: What do other authors say about the company?
- Reputation: Not all self-publishing companies out there are trustworthy.
Why MindStir Media?
MindStir Media is an award-winning self-publishing company that specializes in helping authors from all walks of life with self-publishing, distribution, and marketing. They have expertise self-publishing books in practically every genre on Amazon and other retail venues.
Mindstir Media has uncovered the secret to the success of numerous best-selling writers. Proper marketing and advertising can result in increased book sales and a greater profile for authors and any future works they wish to produce.
eBook authors who choose to self-publish their work, which is substantially less expensive than the usual printed book approach, and may even be completely free if done independently, will be able to significantly reduce their initial expenditure. However, it is always prudent to partner with a marketing organization that has established PR platforms; this may be the greatest path for eBook authors to adopt in order to continually increase income from sales over time. It is one of the most prudent strategies for eBook authors to earn a consistent income from eBook sales.
The best self-publishing company for you will be determined by your goals as an author. Only you know how you want your self-publishing venture to turn out. However, unless you’ve gone through it, you may not know what to concentrate on. And that’s perfectly fine.
The more books you produce and publish, as well as the more you learn about book marketing, the better you’ll be able to determine which services and other aspects are most important to you. That way, you’ll be able to discover the businesses that can provide exactly what you’re seeking for.
Meanwhile, seek advice from more experienced self-publishing authors, research each company, and compile a list of the characteristics that strike out to you. Then decide which one you’d want to attempt first. Ask around or go with your instinct if two of them are tied.